Let me briefly state the situation as follows. This article will summarize how to set up your purchased domain name from Hostgator instead of blogger domain.
- You have a blog in blogger from Google.
- You purchased a Domain Name registration from Hostgator.
- You want to call your blog with your domain name instead of blogger domain name.
Settings must be done in both blogger and your own domain provider which is Hostgator in this case.
Blogger side settings:
- Go to blogger main page.
- Select “Settings”, “Basics”,
- Click “Add a custom domain” will bring you following screen
- Click “Switch to advanced settings”
- In the advanced settings screen write your purchased domain name in the available box (circulated) and click “Save” button (circulated) as shown in the picture below.
- After clicking save button you will have an error message from blogger as follows: We have not been able to verify your authority to this domain. Error 12.
- This is normal. No need to worry. Write down or better to copy three highlighted items in the picture below to a notepad. (not MS word) We will need them in the hosting side settings.
Hostgator side settings
Hostgator has set up your IP address and domain name ready. But it is surely not related with blogger. Now you will generate this linkage or make the integration between these two party.
Login to Hostgator CPanel and select “Advanced DNS zone editor”
Please look for www.YourSelectedName.com record in the list. YourSelectedName stands for your purchased domain name.
If you have this record please edit and change as follows.
Name box: It should be entered as www. Your domain name will automatically be added. So at the end the box will contain www.YourSelectedName.com
CNAME box: It is filled with the first item copied and pasted in the notepad from blogger error screen (above)
Add a new record:
This record will contain Short numbers and letters that have been copied into notepad. The second item in the error screen from blogger.Total Name box content will be your copied text.YourSelectedName.com.
TTL and Type boxes will be same as above 14400 and CNAME respectively.
Finally CNAME will have the long trails of letters and numbers from blogger error screen that we have previously copied to notepad.
Click add record.
Hostgator hosting side settings are completed.
Logout from cpanel.
Finally Again Blogger settings:
Go to blogger.
Follow the steps above from 1 to 5 in the blogger side settings.
This time your settings will be saved with no error.
I hope it simply helps you to guide through your setting with Blogger and Hostgator for your domain name. Any other questions or comments please do not hesitate.